I found the buttons!
In fact I found way more buttons than I thought I owned.
So, finally my first BSJ is done.
I'm very happy with how this turned out. I was not sure I'd like knitting this pattern after a failed attempt about a year ago. I started this one armed with more confidence (and counless tips and tricks from Ravelers), and it all worked out. I'm so pleased with the striping and the cuffs look really good too, although I'll change some things there if I chose to do cuffs like those again. It was my first time knitting two colour ribbing, so I can't be too critical of my own work I think.
And after digging through my knitting basket countless times and finally emptying the whole thing I found the metal buttons I wanted for this jacket.
I knew they were somewhere close, because I had my fingers on them earlier this summer, but after searching through my basket 5 times I started worrying I might have put these particular buttons "somewhere safe". There was an added bonus of a much tidier knitting basket*, much forgotten about candy and more buttons that I no longer remember buying.
BSJ #1 on Ravelry.
*not really a basket... I'll have to take a picture of it and all it holds sometime and take proper inventory of it.